Saturday, October 24, 2009

I hate mess...and my whole house is one.

The good news for you is, you can pretty much rest assured you are a better housekeeper than I.

My baby has been sick this week, so my whole house has been turned into the Disgusting Land of Puke and Ickiness. I am not a good housekeeper at the best of times, so when my dryer still isn't fixed and I'm on laundry overload and all my time is spent caring for a tiny, screaming person, home-making disaster ensues.

Instead of trying harder to work on my mess, I've been playing Bejeweled Blitz on Facebook. Inside, I hate myself for being too much of a coward and slacker to just go upstairs and face the mess. As I played my last round, I heard the deep, dramatic voice of the game tell me "Good," and "Excellent," and "Awesome," everytime I did a particularly neat move. It occurs to me I may get more done if that happened in my actual life--if everytime I got something done I had that voice giving me a little instant gratification.

How do I ever change into the kind of woman who always has her house together? How do I learn to not be so overwhelmed by the mess that I walk away from it? Why can't I see messes utnil they are GIANT and hard to overcome?

Any thoughts? Anyone?

5 comments:

Brandon and Brittany said...

When you figure it out, be sure to tell me. I believe we may be in the same boat.

Gwen said...

I've decided that housekeeping is just like everything else in this world...for some it comes easy, and for some it doesn't. Some of us don't have a problem just getting it done and some of us have to work a little harder to get it done. For some reason, housekeeping isn't one of my problems. However, diligent scripture study will ALWAYS be something I have to work harder at being better at. So, the bad news is that it's probably NOT going to get super easier for you, and you probably ALWAYS will have to work hard at it, but the good news is you are AMAZING AWESOME at so many other things that others find hard to do.

Maybe when you are done writing your book (one of those AWESOME things BTW) you can help me write one on "Preventative Cleaning" :) That's my secret to housekeeping. Oh, and lots of yelling and child labor...

Unknown said...

Having proven the adage that most problems go away if you just ignore them long enough, I really can't fault you for avoiding the mess.

And unless the EPA has declared your house a hazardous waste containment center, you are NOT a worse housekeeper than many women I know.

You become that woman whose house is always clean when you either a) marry Mike Brady, and Alice moves in with you, or b) you agree to hold ward choir practice, all temple prep classes, and the activities formerly known as "Enrichment" at your home, at which time it no longer matters because those who love you will have had you committed.

Julie said...

You call me and I come over and help you. You know that I'm serious and that I won't judge you or your mess. Then, you bring all of your mountains of laundry to my house and we wash and dry it in my lightning-fast dryer. We will, of course, partake of my secret chocolate stash the whole time.

P.S. I'm sooooo jealous that DeNae commented on your blog. She's famous in the blog world and I love her!

Megan said...

check out flylady.com I really like it.