Friday, February 5, 2010

Of history and priorities

I've been meaning to post this for forever, and just haven't gotten around to doing it. But, now I will delight you with the story I've been keeping to myself.

For the Martin Luther King holiday, Jake did a project at school that involved listening to a brief history of MLK's life and accomplishments and coloring a small booklet about him. When Jake gets home from school, I go through the contents of his backpack with him and talk about his day. When I pulled out the book o' King, I asked Jake, "Who is this?"

"I don't know. Some brown guy my teacher was talking about."

"Oh. *giggling quietly* What did you learn about him?"

"Well, my teacher said he had a dream, but it wasn't about dinosaurs. I asked."

I had to leave the room, I was laughing so hard.

"I have a dream, sometimes when I've had a rough day, that a T-Rex chases me over the green fields of Mississippi. I catch him and ride him all the way to Mobile, Alabama, where he can really do some damage."

How white are we?

3 comments:

Julie said...

:) :) :)

Cristina Lejardi said...

Oh. My. Goodness.

Love that boy. LOVE HIM.

Sara Hirschi said...

Can I tell you how much I love your son?!! Adorable :)