Saturday, June 9, 2007

Walking

Why is it that most of the things you are supposed to do for your health are unpleasant? You can't have a lot of cake, and I really like cake! You shouldn't eat a lot of meat, and I love steak! (PS-you really should eat a lot of beef, because it pays my bills and if you are my friend, you would hate to see me in the poorhouse.) You should excercise, and that hurts! You have to submit yourself yearly to an uncomfortable and vaguely degrading physical exam. I want to take care of my body, I just wish it didn't take so very much maintenance. Man, am I looking forward to the ressurection.
I mention all of this because I am a captain of a walking team. It worked out that way because Gwen only registered herself for the Family Circle walking challenge, and couldn't go back. So now I am the boss of logging our miles, which are, I must say, very impressive. So far we have logged 39 miles this week. Walking is the only thing I do to take care of my body that I really enjoy. It does hurt, but mostly I like it because it garuantees me a good hour of adult conversation and a captive audience to vent to. I like having friends so close. When I got married, there was no one my age around, and even the girls in my ward I never really felt like I could get close to. That's the best thing about moving into 2nd ward. Now we have friends! Walking buddies, movie buddies, game night buddies, and inappropriate-yet-still-funny-joke buddies. We have been so blessed to get to know all of these people. They make a lot of things a lot easier.
Anyway, our walking goal is to log 75 miles by mid-July. Clearly that will be no real challenge, but making 75 miles individually will. I may need to get a pedometer to help me with that. Also, walking myself on mornings when Gwen can't make it will help. But its not as much fun. I like Jake, but he's not much for conversation.

1 comment:

Brandon and Brittany said...

Em, look at all the changes you have made to your blog! Go you! Sadly, I won't be much help in your walking escapades, but I do promise to put in my fair share of 4 miles a week. By the way, I love that your posts are long like mine. Makes me happy.