Thursday, May 7, 2009

Because attitude is everything!

Jake was early diagnosed with ADHD last year. I kind of thought the doctor was jumping the gun a little--4 seemed awfully young, and how can you tell if a kid has a disorder or is just a kid? But, in the eighteen months since then, he has shown very little improvement. So, I have bowed to the likelyhood that Jake does indeed have ADHD. This really concerned me when I thought of him starting school in the fall! I loved school, and I think its important to Jake's future success that he have a good experience there. I don't want him to think that because he doesn't think like the other kids or work the same way that he isn't smart. He's actually really smart, he just has a really hard time sorting things out. I got some books today about ADHD and how to help your child learn to work with it. It is such a comfort to know that:
1. He isn't this way because I am a bad parent.
2. The things I have noticed about him aren't all in my head.
3. I have every right to be frustrated.
4. His way of thinking and viewing the world is unique, and I can teach him how to use that to be successful.
5. I can arm us both so that we can be prepared to succeed in school and reach his full potential.
I can't help but think of Ether 12:27:
And if men come unto me I will show unto them their weakness. I give unto men weakness that they may be humble; and my grace is sufficient for all men that humble themselves before me; for if they humble themselves before me, and have faith in me, then will I make weak things become strong unto them.
I know that one of the most powerful tools I can give Jake is teaching him about the infinite love of Jesus Christ, and the infinite power of the Atonement. Teach him that grace isn't just about sin, its about filling all the deficits in our lives. I know that by trusting the Lord, Jake's weaknesses can be strengths! Can you imagine that kind of energy and determination, that drive and that desperate need to do well, that power in intuition, all chanelled into building the kingdom of God?
I can give my child tools that will make him unstoppable! Look out Satan! Here comes Jacob--warrior for truth!

2 comments:

Krista said...

If the medication he is on slows him down then it is ADHD. If the medication dosen't seem to be working then it is not. Chad said to watch this very carefully. Also, he said that medication and behavioral work and do tremendous things. We know you and Joe are good parents and can follow through with what he needs. There is no reason he should be singled out.

Unknown said...

I've seen a few kids with this diagnosis over the years and the parents make a HUGE difference in how successful they are in school. I think Jake will do great because he has such a wonderful, involved, caring mom. (Sorry, I don't know Joe very well but I'm sure he is great too.)

We've missed hanging out with you guys at the speech clinic. Are you doing speech through the summer?