Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Cattlemen's wives are irritated pregnant ladies

I got what I thought was just a touch of the stomach flu over the weekend. It was unpleasant most of Saturday, and much better Sunday, so I thought I had beaten it. Then on Monday, it smacked me down with a vengeance. I called up to my OB to ask what I should do, and they decided I needed to come up to the hospital to be checked, and probably get an IV going. So I cried, and called Joe, and tried to fix my kids lunch, and cried some more. Joe was really good--he rescued me from feeding the kids lunch and got them all ready to go, called his mom, and got me up there in good time. However, once we got up to the hospital, the Bovine Farmer weirdness began.
When one works with animals, one gets a lot of medical supplies for them. In the course of my pregnancies, I have learned from my husband that cow reproduction, pregnancy and delivery are not much different from humans. So, Joe, who has delivered and observed many a pregnant cow in his time, is generally not surprised by weird pregnancy or birth things, like stained amniotic fluid, or the use of pitocin. He is, however, a little freaked out that the IV needle they used for me yesterday is the same size as the one he uses on his animals. He thinks its ok for 300 lb calves, not so much for his wife. Plus, he has a whole diatribe he will share with everyone about how the hospital will charge $5 for the needle, and he could have brought his own for 33 cents. He also noted that the saline and electrolite solution they gave me he used to order in bulk for his newborn calves, and that he can get me some pitocin and anti-biotic for my next IV drip on the way home from the hospital. All it takes is a trip to Cal-Ranch. So while I appreciate his aplomb in what can only be described as a truly lousy situation, it is a little irritating to consider that all I need is at the Ag supply store. Also, if I get compared to a cow one more time, I may find the strength or means to throw one at him.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

My husband is a cattleman as well. I know exactly how you feel! Pregnant with my third he asked if he needed to have the chains ready in case he needed to pull it.

Just remember, in a few days you will be holding your bundle of joy in your arms. I hope all goes well for you.

Sister Savanah Jo Ward said...

Oh my gosh sister I feel your pain! I can probably top it though. Ask anyone who was in our ward when we blessed Joshua and they'll tell you about Darin comparing me to a Jersey cow- he meant it as a compliment because of my superior milk quickly fattened up my 5 1/2 pound baby. Besides he insists it was also because the Jerseys have beautiful eyes and long eyelashes. Yah, right!

Perpetual Mommy Exhaustion said...

I have heard that story. I laughed really hard. You completely win with the humiliating comparisons.

Blake and Lara said...

Lol! Emily I didn't realize you joined the blogging world! I'm so glad you invited me. I will be checking back often! Be glad that sweet little thing will be out of you so soon and you can start making her feel guilty for putting you through hell.haha Keep us posted on baby girl Ward! Good Luck sweetie!

Blake and Lara said...

By the way our blog is blakelarajamesbethany.blogspot.com

shayne and kimberly said...

I feel for you...nice to know where you need to go next time you need med attention... joe's "do it all practice" or at least if you want supplies for yourself! haha i hope tohear you have that little lady soon!